The Lancaster Literary Guild is ready to appoint a new Lancaster County Poet Laureate and it could be you! The application deadline is June 30th and we’ve outlined the requirements below.The 4th Lancaster County Poet Laureate will be expected to promote poetry and poetry education for a period of two-years. This includes doing outreach to schools and the community; increasing the visibility and profile of poetry and poets in Lancaster County; and initiating public readings (minimum of 6 divided equitably over the two-year term), workshops, and media events featuring poetry. The Laureate will also present a reading and discussion of the poet’s own work as a National Poetry Month program for the Lancaster Literary Guild.
- Resident of Lancaster County for a minimum of three (3) years
- Evidence of poetry publication
- Completed application
Applications must be submitted to The Lancaster Literary Guild (113 North Lime Street, Lancaster, PA 17602) and include:
- Letter of interest
- Application form Click to download PDF application here
- Writing sample: 10-page verse manuscript of at least five poems, or a book, a chapbook (self or press-published), or sample national or regional magazine publications
- Video of poetry reading (10 minutes total length)
- Two current letters of support for the position (supporting letters must be original letters in addressing your qualifications for the position)
Finalists will be invited to a discussion and interview with the selection committee. A final candidate will be announced on August 29, 2014—good luck!